Monday, February 27, 2006

I never like to say goodbye

Three days ago I had to say goodbye to a very close friend, MA. She moved away, and it's possible that we'll never live near each other again. This is terribly sad, but I'm trying not to think too much about it, although I miss her already. She was the one I was knitting these socks for.

Since she already knew about the socks (I had to get her measurements for them), I had to do something special to add a little surprise to the gift. MA and I had been talking about card making a few weeks ago, but never got the chance to make some together. So I decided to make her a card set. Taking my cues from the Winter Knitty article on gift wrapping, I wrapped the cards in the socks. Click on it to unwrap!
Image hosting by Photobucket
Stats: stamped, torn, smudged with inkpads, quilted with sewing machine (some of it is straight stitch to outline, some is zig-zag for effect).

My first attempt at quilting cards. I got the idea from MA, who sews.

I had so much fun making these that I decided to join in on Project Spectrum Postcard Swap with Lolly. (Check the knit along buttons in my sidebar for more info.)

On a lighter note, the surprise patterns are live on Knitty!! Starsky is tempting me, especially since it's done in KnitPicks Sierra, which puts it in the "affordable range" for a possible project (a size small would cost $44.90).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...