Saturday, June 10, 2006

Wrapping myself in my own knits

Happy Worldwide Knit In Public Day! If you live in GA, please email me or leave a comment if you 'd like to knit with me and my group, and I tell you where we'll be today. I'll have pictures to show, I'm sure. =)

Finally, I am knitting for myself! I knit for others all the time, and never make time for myself because I figure, I can wait a little longer, but birthdays/new babies/holidays won't wait. So a few weeks ago, I decided that I need some knitted items of my very own.

This, at long last, is my completed Multidirectional Scarf. Those of my longtime readers will recognize this from the last time I knit this, and then what happened after that. I am so glad that it is finally done, and I don't regret ripping it back so that it could be perfect. It's still not quite as long as the one I knit for my sister, but I am very happy with it.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sparky and Max think it's lovely too.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Also, I've been working on my Embossed Leaves Socks.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
When I first knit the cuff, I did the 1x1 cast-on, but then realized (18 rows later) that my twisted rib was offset from the cast on edge in such a way that the purls and knits were not matching up.

I don't know if this is making sense to anyone, but the picture I took before I ripped it out wasn't very clear so I can't show you. Anyway, I realized that I hadn't read the directions carefully enough. To start, the first two rows are knit back and forth on two needles only. Then they're joined in the round. It doesn't sound like it makes sense at first glance, but there is a reason for it. I posed the question of the fussy cast-on to the socknitters Yahoo group, and this is what a very helpful Lori said: "This two-row start for the beginning of this sock knit from the top down imitates the appearance of a sewn bind-off worked at the end of a toe-up sock. It's a nice design feature, but it's certainly optional if you prefer to start your socks differently." Thank you! That makes total sense. I love design features. Fussy or no, I've cast on that way. (By the way, if you've never done a 1x1 cast on, don't be intimidated by it -- there's really nothing difficult about it, it just takes a little focus.)

Once I'd finally gotten this sock cast-on and ribbed properly, I came to the chart. Last night after I got home from the knitting class that I teach, I plunged right in to the first 16 rows. An hour and one full repeat later, I realized that there was a reason the lace wasn't looking very leaf-like. I was reading the chart upsidedown and backwards. Arrggg!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I always forget that I have trouble with the concept of charts, so I just jump in headfirst, and get bitten every time. So frustrating! On the upside, it was only one lace repeat, not the whole leg of the sock or anything.

Excuse me now while I go rip an inch or so.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...