Thursday, November 02, 2006

Mini-Eleanor

Thank you for your votes! I am completely enamored with the idea of a "mini-Eleanor", so that's what I'm going with. However, the suggestion of legwarmers by Dani has got me thinking. That will definitely be a project in the future. I can't get the picture out of my head of my striding down the street, belly first, with brilliantly colored leg warmers pulled on over my jeans, covering the tops of my shoes.

As it turns out, yesterday was All Saints Day. It is considered a public holiday here (not federal), so each state determines weather or not they will celebrate it. As it turns out, Rheinland-Pfalz, the state that I live in, is one of only 5 that do (as I saw yesterday).

It's possible that today is the continuation of the festivities (read: I won't be able to shop today either), but I'll hope for the best and go out anyway. I'm out of hairspray, and the Bed Head Hard Head I ordered on eBay hasn't arrived yet, so I really need to go run out and get some. Also, I am seriously craving some good sweet apples and a few oranges, both of which are in season right now. On top of that, I'm not sure if I can go another day without a stuffed artichoke. I'll share my recipe sometime -- it's killer, and the artichokes I found at the market last week were tender and perfect. Let's stop thinking about it, shall we?

Yesterday afternoon, I had the distinct feeling that my world was closing in on me. My husband has been working long hours (going in to work at 6am, which is normal, but then not getting home until at least 8pm, which is not), which leaves me to care for the boys from when they morning to bedtime. Sometimes he gets home in time to say goodnight to them.

This has been going on for over a week now, and will last about another three, so it's only just begun. I love my children more than I ever thought it was possible to love anyone, and normally, I am perfectly content with the profession I have chosen as mother, wife, housekeeper, cook. However, it's possible to loose sight of this content, tranquil place when Thomas the Tank Engine is the most requested video, no one is old enough to help out with anything much, and Sparky is learning to talk so much now that it's constant. questions. conversation.

I started to feel that if I had to discus the Thomas movie one more time ("Mommy, what does the blue train say? But what does the green one say?"), I would have to be admitted somewhere for counseling. About 4 hours after this fact, Mr. FiberFlash came home (right at bedtime for the boys), and I'd already started falling apart at the seams.

After handing the children over to him, I locked myself away in the other side of the house, folded the laundry that has been staring at me for days, and then did the only thing a reasonable person would do. I brewed myself a big mug of Chai tea, mounded it with whipped cream, and sat down with my two skeins of Noro to cast on.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It seems that between caring for toddlers all day, and then knitting for them whenever I had a break in the action was not such a good plan for me. I needed time for me that was all about me. Sounds selfish at first glance, but let me tell you, when Mamma's happy, there is a happy house. And that's just healthy for everyone.

As it turns out, Entrelac is way more simple and mezmerizingly addictive than I had imagined. I decided to learn to knit backwards too so I wouldn't have to keep turning the work, and that was pretty thrilling too. After a few hours, I had this:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
(I can't manage to capture the true colors in the photo, but you'll have to believe me that it's the same yarn that was pictured yesterday)

The best thing about using this yarn with this particular technique is that the color tends to shift from block to block. It's fascinating to see which colors will land where, and next to what. I stayed up until midnight just to see what would show up next.

As you can see in the picture, Mr. FiberFlash also brought something home from our Post Office Box that helped to make the night. I have to say, Spin-Off is my favorite Interweave magazine so far. The articles are smart and technical while remaining interesting and engaging. Love it. I learn new things every time.

One more good thing was the fact that the Mr. even got home as early as he did. I hadn't imagined him getting home any earlier than 1am or so, it was a wonderful surprise to even be able to see him at all. Let's just say that the night ended successfully, and that's all the details I have for you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...