Thursday, January 19, 2006

Dreaming in silk

Edgar is done!

Here he is, in all his glory:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Pattern: Edgar
Needles: #8 vintage aluminum straights
Yarn: Noro Silk Garden, color #201
Cast on: honestly, I can't remember. I think it was last week.
Cast off: January 18th

The scarf appears to be bigger at the bottom, but that's just because of a funky camera angle that I won't apologize for. =)

Here I am wearing it, along with a serious expression as I wonder why I'm taking a self-portrait when my husband is home.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I ended up with 11 pattern repeats instead of 8. It was barely over one skein, and I could have stopped at 10 so that I wouldn't have to break into the second skein, but I was finally knitting the blue part and couldn't bear tp leave it out.

This afternoon I cast on for my Multidirectional Scarf, and called my sister to have her measure how wide hers is. Unfortunately she was out, sans scarf, so I had to guestimate. When my husband got home he said it seemed a little wider...so I had to stop and wait until someone can get me the measurements. That scarf was perfect. This one needs to be exactly the same. But I want to knit on this now!! Agghhh!!

While tugging on the yarn during an increase at the beginning of a row, my yarn broke, so I did a little trick that I just learned.

First, I untwist the yarn so that the loose fibers are out there:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Then I suck on each end a little (sounds gross, but it works better than wetting with water), and twist them together. Then I rub them briskly, and viola! Whole again!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

3 comments:

Mouse said...

Ah.. behold the wonder of the "spit splice".. a knitters dirty little secret! Great scarf!

Amy said...

My sister just made the same scarf (but in a different Noro yarn).

Yours is very pretty!

Sarah said...

wow, edgar looks really nice. the noro love continues.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...