Thursday, July 28, 2005

Happy Anniversary To Me!

Today I have been married for 4 years. Wow, that makes me feel old. I can still remember being single, but the memories are starting to have hazy edges. I swear I was 18 yesterday though!

So our grand plans for today? Well...neither of us had been really thinking about our upcoming anniversary, and there is this rock show in Syracuse that the Mr's really been wanting to go to. So today my husband's working, and I'm getting the little guys and myself ready (also I have to stitch together a baby sling for a cousin), have dinner done by 4:30, and then we're leaving for Syracuse. Mr. Fiberflash will go to the show, and I'll hang out at the mall with my little men. After that we'll continue on down to the in-law's house for the weekend. Doesn't that sound so romantic? Really, we've been trying to plan something, but we just can't seem to come up with anything that 1) doesn't require a lot of cash (we're tight on that end on account of our upcoming move), and 2) can include at least an infant, if not a toddler.

Last night was Knit Night. I feel like I've been going there forever now, although this is only my second time. The soothing click of needles, relaxed conversation with people who share my passion for all things knit, being surrounded by some of the most beautiful fibers...what can I say? It's one of the highlights of my week. I will be sad to move for more reasons than one, but leaving this group will suck. There doesn't seem to be anything comparable in Georgia yet that I know of, but I'll start one if I have to!

I was talking to Pam, one of the ladies in the group last night, about what knitting means to me, and I realized that this is the first "craft" I've found where I feel like I can completely immerse myself. Everything else seems to have somewhat limited creative possibilities; cross-stitch and needlepoint tend to be someone else's designs, and there's only so many things you can do with them. With sewing you can be creative, but once you cut the fabric, you're committed! With knitting, I can take yarn and just create! If I don't like it, I can frog it (rip it out), and start all over again. I can knit clothing, accessories, stuffed animals, home decor, gifts -- it's pretty much unlimited. It's also completely portable, and I can knit while doing other things, which means I'm getting something done while getting something done (or something?)

I learned to knit when I was little. My grandma taught me the knit stitch, and so I randomly knit on and off little garter stitch rectangles (a wrap dress for a Barbie! A blanket for a doll!), and then when I was 15, I made a baby blanket for my little brother with garter stitch rectangles stitched together. No edging, I knotted the ends, but it was a blanket! That was 10 years ago.

Eight weeks ago, I picked up the needles again. When I did, I knew I'd come home.

2 comments:

Amy Boogie said...

Happy Anniversary.
With 2 kids that sounds like a perfectly good celebration to me. I like what you said about knitting. I absolutley agree.

Where do you get your rings for your baby slings? I've been trying to find some and can't.

Mouse said...

Where are you moving to in Georgia? I'm near Atlanta Georgia and have a 4 year old son - you can email me if you want at knottymouse(at)bellsouth(dot)com (take that.. spambots!) I love the sling that you made.. my little guy was a sling baby too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...