Monday, June 11, 2007

The Dream Socks

Answers to some questions from the comments:

Megan guessed correctly the yarn used to knit my mom's socks: OnLine Sierra Color #894 (click that link to buy it at half-price from Little Knits!)

Rachel (who just completed an absolutely gorgeous version of Swallowtail) wondered if the Green Gables socks are for me. Yes! I'm a gift knitter by nature, but I'm not entirely sure that I'm ready to give away handspun -- and then knit -- projects yet. And also these are just too dear to me. So yes, they're for my feet only. I'm almost done with the first sock of the pair!

This past week has found me at the wheel quite a bit. This here was done for the Sunday Spin-Along. (Click the collage to go to the Flickr set if you want more details.)
The last day of May, I got my Spunky Club fiber, and got to it almost right away!
The colors are so subtle and beautiful, but the wool is a hardy Coopworth, so I wasn't sure what I'd do with it. I was thinking maybe a shawl, and since the staple length is so long, I knew that it wouldn't be a problem to spin it finely.

I split the wool down lengthwise, drafted it out, and rolled it into two bumps.
I was thinking maybe a laceweight two ply. However, after spinning up a few yards and Andean plying it together, I knew that this wasn't the effect I was going for. The subtle colors were lost and the overall look was just brownish. Might be pretty, but I really wanted the individual colors to shine. Also, in such a thin, high twist yarn, it ended up being just plain wiry, and I didn't like it.

I knew that I was going to have to spin thicker. So I decided to go for a DK/worsted weight singles. I'm on the second bobbin of (probably) four.
This is a challenge to spin evenly, but I'm re-teaching myself the long-draw with a thicker singles, and it's quite fun! I've got 8 oz of this wool, so I'm interested to see how much yardage I can get out of it this way. Maybe a rugged lacy shawl? I'll see.

In other news, I finished my mom's socks.
PROJECT SPECS

Pattern: Priscilla's Dream Socks from Favorite Socks (Used to also be a free pattern download at Interweave Knits, but doesn't seem to be there anymore)
Yarn: OnLine Sierra Color #894
Needles: KnitPicks classic circulars, size #1.
Pattern notes: These are knit from the cuff down, and have short-row heels and toes. I love the end result, and that coupled with the all-over rib makes these a pair of nicely fitting, comfortable socks. I will knit this pattern again.

I've sent them off to my mom today.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...