Thursday, June 21, 2007

A contest, and a trip to the mall

In exactly 10 days is my 2nd year blogging anniversary. I've been trying to think what would be an appropriate way to celebrate, and as I reflected on my 2 years of knitting (because the first day of this month marked my 2 year knitting anniversary), I realized that I, apparently, love to knit socks. And love to wear them. However, a brief inspection of my closet confirmed that I have no shoes that will display handknit socks to any advantage.

My summer "uniform" is a calf-length skirt with a t-shirt or polo-shirt. I need shoes that will look good with that outfit (and a pair of handknit socks), and still be comfortable enough to wear as I walk around on cobblestone streets. My feet are flat, so support is a definite issue, and I don't wear heels anymore because of children and back pain (a low sturdy heel might be an option, but flats are probably better).

So what does this have to do with a bloggiversary, you ask? Because I'm turning this into a contest. I want to buy these shoes next month, because right now, I'm living in flip-flops. This is where you come in. Find me a pair of shoes that I can buy for myself online. They need to be under $100, in the colors of brown, tan, burgundy or similar, a supportive structure/cushy sole, and meet the above requirements for fashion. I'm a size US 8-1/2 or EUR 39. I love Mary-Janes (or similar), but don't generally wear clogs. No pointy toes, but no total square toes either. I'm 5'3" with big feet, so I don't want them to look bigger. =)

If you find me the link to the pair of shoes I decide to buy, you get some good stuff. I've got a little stockpile of some handspun, chocolate, gummies, and sock-yarn. Want it? Leave your links in the comments. Contest closes whenever I decide on the 1st.

Here's some pics that I took in a shoe store yesterday to give you an idea of what I like. Click for more details.

Shoe Inspiration

Yesterday, I went to a German mall for the first time. My husband stayed home with the boys, so it was just Daisy and I with my friend Jillian.
DSCF7064
(This is on top of the parking garage)


Jillian is American, so between the English conversation and the familiar surroundings, I almost felt like I was back in the States again.

There were, however, some differences. Like this produce store tucked into a corner.

Mall Fruit

There was also a fresh pasta and cheese counter. You just don't see that back home, where malls are the land of the ultra-processed with nary a fresh thing to be found.

Jillian and I couldn't help giggling about these transparent boxer-briefs in the men's section of one of the department stores.

Transparent boxer-breifs in the men's section

(I claim no responsibility for ending up there.)

We visited my favorite store, H&M, and Jillian bought Daisy some dresses that were just too cute to pass up. Of course we had to dress her in one of them right away (she's my tiny baby-doll).
DSCF7058

I also made a few purchases. I've been wanting a hat with a bill for a while, to keep out the sun while playing outside with the boys. The trouble is, I look terrible in hats. At H&M, I finally found one that suited me.

Hat

I've also been wanting some wide, fabric headbands for a long time, and keep telling myself that I'll just sew some up. I've got fabric, I've got elastic, how hard can it be to just sit down and make them? Apparently, too hard for me.

Headband

I adore this one, and don't regret the purchase. In fact, I think that I need about 20 more.

Of course, there was a souvenir yarn purchase. What's a trip to the mall without some new sock yarn?
Souvenier yarn

I know the colors are insane (my question is, what nation does this represent?!), but I couldn't put it down once I'd picked it up, so it just had to come home with me.

I finished spinning the first 4 ounces of Nightshade, and drafted out the second half of the batch.
Nightshade

That's been sitting around, however, because I remembered that I had this:

Cool Rain

And suddenly knew what to do with it. It's going to be cute.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...