Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Do they rock?

Well, as it turns out, Megan actually does have a blog! And she lives here in Germany, has baked my banana bread, randomly bought the same color of blue Wollmeise on the same day that I did, knits lots of socks...

I have a confession. I've never knit with Socks That Rock. I hadn't even ever seen it in person, but my Sockapalooza pal indicated that she would love socks knit with some of that, so....I ordered three skeins, one each of Silkie, Mediumweight and Lightweight, for comparison. I mean, if I'm going to do a thing, I might as well do it right.

My pal loves dark green, so I ordered the Silkie in the shaded solid colorway, Beryl:

I thought that this was quite varigated for a "shaded solid", but I adore the different green tones, so I wound it off into a ball for my pal's socks.

I ordered the Mediumweight in "Lemongrass", a colorway I've seen on several blogs, and always admired.
Very unfortunately, although you can't tell in the picture, the yellow is actually neon. I was less than pleased, because (to me) it seemed to clash badly with the tan-ish brown and the olive tones of the green.

The lightweight was in a color that I was especially excited about. Hoofle Foofle looked like a bowl of yellow sunshine on the Blue Moon Fiber Arts site, which I was so in the mood for.
As you can see, it's actually shades of apricot. Now, if I had wanted apricot, this would have been totally perfect. I, however, cannot stand to knit with anything orange. It totally turns me off, and I don't know why.

I emailed the ladies at Blue Moon, and they were very gracious. Tina tweaked the color on the Hoofle Foofle photo to reflect more of the peachy tones, and I mailed back that skein and the Lemongrass for a full refund.

As far as the yarn itself, I still haven't knit with it (although I will be casting on with the Silkie soon), but I wasn't terribly impressed with the yarn itself. I prefer Lorna's Laces, Louet, Koigu, Wollmeise (oh Wollmeise ~sigh~). But, I know that there are a lot of Socks That Rock fans out there, so it's just a matter of my own preference.

But who knows? Perhaps I'll come around yet.

Well, on to other things. Especially for Becca -- here's a new dishcloth pattern that I came across, and it looks like a lot of fun: Pinwheel.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...