The spinning was part of a sermon illustration, and this week the intention was to knit the handspun into a project for charity...except, as it turns out the only yarn acceptable for charity is non-wool, machine-wash-only. So. Back to the drawing board! I went out yesterday and bought some soft acrylic/poly blend (I was cringing at the register, but you gotta do what you gotta do -- and yes, I could have bought cotton, but I had limited time to shop, etc., so I ended up at a Big Craft Chain Store), and several knitting friends and I will be knitting that into tiny preemie hats for the NICU at a local hospital.
Newly in love with this blog:
- The Sisters 4 Say More is More. They come up with cute thrifty, and creative outfits and make me wish that my sisters and I could agree on anything to write a blog about!
Random greatness from the web:
- Breastfeeding = Breastfeeding. This encouraging article promotes breastfeeding as "just plain normal", yet doesn't heap guilt on those who choose not to. I love the overall tone, and the thoughtfulness. A great read!
- When I first got married and was left to my own devices in the kitchen, I really wish that I'd known about a site like Food Pickle! In fact, I am going to keep this saved to my favorites for those moments when I'm in a bind and can't figure out a food/cooking dilemma on my own.
- This Seamstress Bracelette is so cute, and a great little different touch to an outfit.
- I am all about this cool/modern take on kitchen gardening over at Ten June: My Love Buckets
- Repairing clothing isn't something that usually inspires me, but when I looked over this list of Creative Mending, I immediately started imaginging things that I could do to some of the blah or torn things in mine and my children's closets.
- Refashion Favorites! Great inspiration for putting some new spunk in your wardrobe.
- A beautiful and delicious looking salad: Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Pineapple Poppy Seed Vinaigrette via Joy The Baker.
- Pasta Salad with Tomatoes and Zucchini -- an excellent idea for this warmer weather that's pushing us straight into a long, hot Texas summer. (Via Pioneer Woman)
- I have a bag of parsnips just waiting to be turned into this Parsnip Soup from Orangette.
- Wholesome Quesadillas from 101Cookbooks -- sparked with the flavors of capers, wholesome with eggs and wrapped in a corn tortilla, what's not to love?
- Greek Style Macaroni and Cheese. I am saving this dinner idea for a day when it's not so hot outside, but it looks delicious!
- You all know that I am pretty ridiculous about doing everything from scratch in my kitchen, but what you might not realize is that I'll always have a soft spot for those little instant packages of Ramen noodles. I love these 30 Ramen Hacks that breath new life in to the bowl of my favorite little guilty (savory) pleasure!
- Scotch Whiskey Oat Cake. Need I say more? (Via Everybody Likes Sandwiches)
- Probably, I don't actually want to know JUST HOW GOOD these are. But maybe I do. Peanut Butter Pretzel and Toffee Bonbons, via Mel's Kitchen Cafe.
- These Lemon Meringue Cookies look like they'd be a great way to have a lemon meringue pie without the commitment of eating an entire pie. Unless I ate the entire batch of cookies. (Via Joy the Baker)
- Oh sweet and salty goodness! Chewy Caramel Popcorn and Prezel Bars, via Culinary in the Country.
This video makes me smile and inspires me:
Have a lovely weekend!!