Monday, December 26, 2011

Sugar Cookie Day and a Gingerbread House

(Edited to add pictures of gingerbread house...oops!)


Every year, the children and I have a tradition of making and decorating sugar cookies, and also making a gingerbread village.  This year, I bought a gingerbread house kit, so I did most of the decorating, but we used Dorie Greenspan's sugar cookie recipe (with lemon zest rubbed into the sugar -- yummy!) from this book, of course.

Daisy, Sparky, Max and Billy, cutting out sugar cookies
The whole proccess takes a while, as does anything with small children, so by the time we finished stamping out the shapes, Daisy had just had enough.  A good long nap followed shortly after this shot.

Sparky, Max and Billy, cutting out sugar cookies

Sparky, Max and Billy, cutting out sugar cookies

Sprinkles for decorating the sugar cookies
Some superfun sprinkles that I found at Target.

Sparky and Max decorating sugar cookies
By the time that we got around to the decorating, both of the little guys were solidly asleep for their afternoon naps, so Max helped them out after dinner to fully sprinkle their own cookies.

Max, decorating sugar cookies

Sparky, decorating sugar cookies

Sparky and Max decorating sugar cookies

Sparky and Max decorating sugar cookies
Cookie Monsters

Sparky and Max decorating sugar cookies

Stamping out circles with the re-rolled scraps of dough
I used my favorite vintage biscuit cutter to stamp out circles with the re-rolled scraps of dough left over, and gave them a simple (and slightly more grown-up) apricot glaze.

Apricot Glazed Sugar Cookies


Gingerbread House 2011

Gingerbread House 2011

Gingerbread House 2011

3 comments:

Abigail vR said...

Do you roll out onto waxed paper? Do you also put a piece on top when rolling? I use flour and I feel like I end up using way too much.

Faith said...

I use 2 pieces of waxed paper, and no flour at all.  Since the dough is chilled for at least two hours before rolling, it doesn't stick too badly.  I also find that, after stamping out the shapes, if I put the waxed paper sheet with dough into the freezer for about 10 minutes, it enables me to cleanly peel the extra dough away, and then lift off the cookies onto parchment paper for baking.  With that much butter, it's all about the cold!

Abigail vR said...

Brilliant! Now I just need to remember this until next Christmas. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...