Friday, August 03, 2007

All the good mail (and I know someone you might know...)

About a week before I flew back to NY, I had one of my favorite kinds of playdates. It's the kind that combines good pizza and quality spinning time.
Spinning with Rachel
Do you know the spinner on the right? It's fellow blogger Rachel (of the Whisper Lace sock pattern). Pretty strange knowing a blogging friend in real life. We don't live too far from each other in Germany, so we get together twice a month or so for knitting and spinning. We also happen to have some little people who match up pretty well age-wise.
Spinning  and pizza playdate
A good time was had by all.

A while back, I had mentioned some really good stuff that I'd been getting in the mail. I did take pictures like the good little blogger I am, but never got around to posting. Something about suddenly being thrust into the role of Single Mom knocked the wind right out of me. Anyway, here are some highlights:

A package from my husband's cousin Jessica, blog reader and podcast listener. It was she who won the Name That Baby contest with the entry "Daisy".
DSCF7468
The package from her included candy for the boys, a card featuring her scarf in progress (knit from the handspun I sent her!), and most excitingly the book Braids & Bows.

She remembered from months ago when I mentioned that if my baby was a girl I'd have to buy this book for her. I used to have it when I was little, and learned to do many fantastic hairstyles in my younger sister's hair, as well as my own.

I highly recommend it for anyone wondering what to do with longer hair. I got the warm fuzzies when I sat down to flip through it. I can't wait for Daisy's hair to grow long enough!

Jessica used new kitchen towels as padding, because they were approximately the same as paper packing material, but they have the benefit of being reusable. I love it!

Next up is a little package from blog reader Faith. (I have a special place in my heart for anyone named Faith. It's not a common name, so it's always kind of a thrill to meet someone I share the name with.)
Gift!
Faith won "second place" in the Find My Shoes contest, and before I could even get her package out the door, she had sent me this! I'd never felt Malabrigo in person, and I have to tell you that it's definitely all it's cracked up to be and more.

I don't think I'd ever knit a sweater out of it because of the pilling factor (it's a worsted weight singles yarn of pure Merino, so the soft fibers will eventually start to drift out), but it is fabulously suited to accessories like scarves and hats. This perfect shade of blue will probably be a nice cushy scarf for fall.

And then came the shoes!
DSCF7469
I forgot to take a picture of the third pair, which followed these by a week, but I love them all!

The bronze ones came in their very own sock knitting bags.
DSCF7470
I wonder if the Earth company realizes this?

And then, just because I'm sure that I didn't post enough Daisy pictures yesterday, I leave you with this one:
Daisy in goggles
(Jillian couldn't resist the swimming goggles when she found them on my living room floor!)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...