Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Handspun and handcrafted gifts

Many apologies to those of you who are getting sick of all of the pics of handspun around here, because... here's three more:

Merino handpainted fiber from Have You Any Wool in colorway "Strawberry".  2-ply, dk/worsted weight.




Merino handpainted fiber from Scarlet Fleece in colorway "Popsical", bulky singles.

 



Wool handpainted fiber from Scarlet Fleece in colorway "Lapis", thick and thin superbulky singles.

 


I've also been carding like mad lately.  It's so fun to combine different fibers, sparkle and colors, I can hardly stop!  This is a little gift kit I put together for my sister Rachel who just turned 12 last month.

 


I especially love the little box bag, which I lined with the cutes polka-dot (or "coca-dot" if you're Daisy) fabric.  Box bag tutorial at Drago[knit]fly.

 


Rachel's favorite color is green, so she was very excited about this set.  She's pretty much the easiest person to put together gifts for -- she loves spinning, creating things, collecting small treasures...what could be easier than essentially shopping for myself?  :)

Speaking of gifts, I put this one together months ago, but for some reason never got the pictures uploaded until now -- this is a gift set I put together for a spinning/knitting/creative friend who had an extended stay in the hospital:

 


It was also super fun to put this one together. The redwork patten was printed from here, and I traced it over a sunny window, then backed it with some organic cotton batting for stability so she wouldn't have to use an embroidery hoop.

 



The little pocket stitch book is from Sew Mama Sew.

 



The lined bag is the pattern "Two Kates Project Bag" from Needled.  (I cut the little wool felt broach out alternately with a paper punch and freehand.)

 


Cascade Fixation footies/bed socks (my own pattern which I can't remember now...):

 


Handspun merino singles (spun a few summers ago):

 


I also included some sweet/salty granola to make up for the nasty hospital food she had to eat (recipe: Uncle Austin's Granola), and a batch of playdough for when her two small children visited her room (I used the top recipe in this article).  Of course I took forever to put this together and get it in the mail, and since it was shipping to Germany it didn't get there until at least a week after she got out of the hospital, but oh well.  :)

For more project photo details (as if you needed more!) you can click through any of the above pics to get to my photostream.

Putting together gifts for like minded crafting friends is pretty much the best thing ever.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...