Thursday, August 14, 2008

Fresh Handspun

My latest handspun has been washed, dried, and photographed for your viewing pleasure.

This is what I did with the latest Spunky Club, Solar Eclipse.  It's Romney wool, which, even though it's not something I'd want right next to my skin, is fun to spin.  The staple length and general toughness lends itself well to softly spun, bulky singles.  I find that spinning Romney this way also reduces the harshness of the wool, and the final yarn manages to actually be appealingly squishy.



These two skeins (8 oz) total about 190 yds.



I have no idea at all what I'll do with it, but for once, I don't even care.  I just love the yarn for what it is right now, and I'll worry about it's usefulness later.

These two little skeins were spindled on my Golding Celtic Ring.  (My first completed spindle project!)



I plied them on the little wheel that I'm borrowing from my neighbor from the two ends of a center-pull ball.  Honestly, I don't know what all the fuss is about *not* plying from a center-pull.  I didn't have any trouble with it, and I can't see any difference in the finished yarn.  (I did keep one finger inside the center of the ball to make sure it didn't collapse with the energy of the new singles, but besides that I didn't do anything different than I normally would, plying-wise.)


This was spun from a 3 oz Hanks In The Hood batt from Paradise Fibers, colorway "Moss".  This measures out at approximately 165 yards of sport/worsted weight 2-ply.


I'm thinking of a simple, lacy scarf with this.

Sparky wanted to be involved with the photography, so he snapped off this shot of me styling the yarn before the shoot.

Next up on the wheel is a purple/green novelty yarn experiment.

Here's a cute baby, fresh from the shower.

(My sister Grace is holding him)


Before he was born, he was dubbed "Chazz" by my sister Joy, so we've decided that name will serve as his blogable tag as well.

On a completely different note, has anyone read the story about Winnie The Pooh's attack?

Next post -- a recipe for obscenely decadent brownies.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...